There have been some classic football quotes through the years, from outspoken managers to football greats. We have compiled this list of the best ever football quotes for your enjoyment, a list that features quotes from players such as Ronaldo and Hazard as well as great managers such as Mourinho and Wenger.
The 18 quotes below feature some of the funniest, arrogant, clever and downright rude quotes from some of the best football celebrities the world has ever seen. So, take a look and let us know your best ever football quotes in the comments section below!
1. “The great thing about him is that he will not quit..”
Our first best ever football quote comes from one great footballer talking about another. George Best said this about Cristiano Ronaldo: “The great thing about him is that he will not quit”. The former Man United great said that Ronaldo’s perseverance on the football field is one quality that makes him such an invaluable player. Before his death, it was said that Best admired Ronaldo’s footballing ability and that is reflected in this quote.
2. “He’s a leader and is offering lessons in beautiful football. He has something different to any other player in the world”
Our second best ever football quote comes from yet another footballing genius talking about another. Diego Maradona, arguably one the best players the world has ever seen, talks about Lionel Messi as a leader, offering beautiful lessons that no one else does. The Argentine legend clearly appreciates his team mates skill set.
3. “In my opinion he is the best player in the Premier League at this moment. It’s very hard pointing out who’s the best here or there, especially here with so many good players. But Hazard has been so consistent and he deserves to be considered as the best player in England”
Eden Hazard is arguably one of the best footballers in the world right now, so it is no surprise that our third quote features him. Widely considered the best player in the world, Hazard’s Chelsea team mate Oscar stated that Hazard is certainly the best player in the Premier League at the moment.
4. “If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all..”
Wise words from the legendary Arsenal manager. Arsene Wenger states that believing is key to becoming a great side. It is clear in recent years that Arsene obviously does not believe enough, judging by Arsenals lack of silverware..
5. “I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just wasted..”
At number 5 comes George Best. The footballing great was just as known as his antics off the field as he was with those on the field. Best was a heavy drinker and big partier with a heavy interest in the ladies and that is reflected in these comments he made. Best bedded some of the most beautiful women in the world, and played against some of the best players in the world. A true legend.
6. “Am I afraid of failure? He [Arsene Wenger] is a specialist in failure. I’m not..”
We couldn’t have a countdown of the best ever football quotes without mentioning the Special One himself. Mourinho, the outspoken Chelsea and former Real Madrid Manager, has made some controversial comments through the years and this is a classic one. The Special One has an on-going rivalry with the Arsenal Manager and this quote demonstrates that, with Mourinho picking on Wengers inability to win silverware.. Burn!
7. “Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it’s much more serious than that..”
The legend that is Bill Shankly made this quote about how important football is, and most of us would agree with his point..
8. “Your love makes me strong, your hate mes me unstoppable..”
Ronaldo is never one to hold back his true thoughts. And while other quotes on this page have been footballers or managers talking about others, Ronaldo is not shy to talk about himself. When questioned about criticism or support he receives, Ronaldo stated that love makes him strong, but hate makes him invincible.
9. “God gives gifts to everyone, some can write, some can dance. He gave me the skill to play football and I am making the most of it..”
Ronaldinho, the Brazilian skill God, made this statement about his natural ability many times. As a highly religious individual, Ronaldinho believed that his skill was a gift from God. After seeing him play many times, we would have to agree..
10. “I made a lot of sacrifices by leaving family, leaving Argentina to start new life. But everything I did, for football, to achieve my dream. That’s why I didn’t go out for party and many other things..”
The greatest player the world has ever seen made this statement about how his dedication may have contributed to where he is now. The little Argentine made huge sacrifices, dedicating his life to football and training at the expense of partying.
11. “The opposition players are lucky, they have only got to play against him twice a year, we’ve got to train with him every day.. he is a magician!”
Steven Gerrard quotes about how difficult it is to play against Luis Suarez while he was at Liverpool. Suarez, who was known for his biting antics on the field, now plays for Barcelona alongside some of the best players in the world but spent a season at Liverpool where he carried them through the season.
12. “I should start every game, I should play every minute of every match and always be in the team..”
We couldn’t have an all time great football quotes list without mentioning Lord Bendtner. Bendtner, who played with Arsenal for many years, has always been his own greatest fan and at one point compared himself to greats such as Messi and Ronaldo. In this famous quote, he said he should be starting every game and included in every team because he is that good.. All hail Lord Bendtner..
13. “I do not wish to hide my origins, nor do I seek to make it a subject of conversation. I am what I am.”
Ryan Giggs, the Man United legend and all round quality footballer, demonstrating that he is not ashamed of his roots. The Welshman made this famous comment when stating that he is not afraid to talk about where he came from but doesn’t feel he has too. Giggs was a legend at Man United until retirement.
14. “Beckham cannot kick with his left foot, can’t head the ball, can’t tackle and he doesn’t score enough goals. Otherwise he’s all right..”
At number 14 we have another quote from the great George Best. Best, talking about football legend David Beckham, said that the England great was a quality footballer – but only with his right foot. This backhanded compliment was typical of Best, but we are sure Beckham took it with a pinch of salt..
15. “Behind every kick of the ball there has to be a thought..”
Our final best ever football quotes comes from Dennis Bergkamp, the Arsenal legend. Bergkamp was known for his genius control on the ball and clever tactical play and this is reflected in the quote he made, stating “behind every kick of the ball, there has to be a thought..”. Wise words from the Dutchman..
So that concludes our list of the top 15 best ever football quotes. Feel we have missed some out? Comment below and let us know!